Important information: Our building on Shields Road and drop-ins in are closed until further notice. Staff are working from home and we will be offering the best service we can during these difficult times.
Our Carers Information Line is open as normal Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 5:00pm. Please call 0191 275 5060 for information, advice or support.
If you would like to talk to someone in person about your caring role, you can drop-in to see a worker for one-to-one information and advice at locations across the city. See Information and Advice for more details. Alternatively you can contact us to book an appointment.
Our Counselling service gives carers the opportunity to work with a range of situations, and aims to help people to cope with issues such as bereavement, personal problem solving or emotional trauma in a confidential and safe environment.
How can counselling help?
Counselling can provide a safe and regular time for you to explore the problems and challenges that may be affecting your life. Our Counsellors are there to help you to explore and understand your problems and yourself better in order for you to make changes in your life.
Our Counsellors will:
- Offer a safe, confidential and non-judgemental place where you can talk about yourself and the parts of your life that are causing difficulties.
- Offer you a number of planned, regular sessions lasting for around 50 minutes each.
- Listen to how you feel and how this is affecting you.
- Guide you to help you understand what decisions you may need to make in your life.
- Refer you to other services, such as our Carer Information and Advice Service, if you need any information, advice or advocacy.
All of our Counsellors are members of the British Association for Counselling & Psychotherapy and work within their Ethical Framework.
Please note: access to our counselling service is based upon an assessment. For more information please contact us.
We offer a complementary therapy service to carers who are experiencing a very stressful time in their caring role, and their own health and wellbeing is affected.
We offer a range of complementary therapies including:
- Aromatherapy Massage – a blend of essential oils, such as lavender, rose, grapefruit and nutmeg, are used together with the ancient art of massage to help to release the day to day tensions stored within the body’s muscles and help relaxation.
- Indian Head Massage – a traditional massage working on the head, neck and shoulders to help with relaxation and overall well-being of the body.
- No Hands® Massage – a dynamic new form of Massage, conceived and developed by UK therapist Gerry Pyves. Instead of using hands as in conventional massage, the soft surfaces of the forearms are used to give a deep, relaxing and powerful, yet very gentle massage.
- Healing – self-healing by relaxing the body, releasing tensions and strengthening the body’s own immune system.
- Reflexology – therapy working on your feet.
We ask for a contribution of £5 for a one hour complementary therapy session.
Please note not all carers are eligible for this service. Please contact us to find out more.
Do you care for someone living outside of Newcastle?
If you care for someone who lives outside of Newcastle, find out about other Carers Centres in the North East here.