Some carers can find themselves juggling the role of caring for someone with the responsibility of work commitments. This can be especially challenging and stressful.
Telling your employer about your caring responsibilities
It is up to you whether you tell your employer. Some carers may be relunctant and wish to keep their caring situation private. However, you may find there are things that an employer can put in place to help and support you.
For more information see:
- Carers UK - guidance about telling an employer and other staff.
Carers’ employment rights and working
There are some employment rights that can help support carers whilst working and caring, such as a right to make a flexible working request. For more information about these rights, visit:
- Carers UK - useful information for carers about working and caring, including your rights as a carer, getting support at work and whilst in education.
- Carers Trust - information about carers and employment.
- NHS Choices - Employment rights for carers explained, including flexible working and time off for dependants.
- GOV.UK - Step by step guide to flexible working.
- acas - information for parents and carers on when working and caring.
Working Carers Guide
Gateshead Carers have produced a Working Carers Guide to provide information and help support carers who are looking after someone. They have also developed The Carer Passport for carers to to use as an information tool to help them identify their own needs and help others understand their situation.
Download the Working Carers Guide and The Carer Passport at the top of this page.
Is there anything wrong with this page? Please let us know here