Register with us

Please tell us …

I am a carer

yes no

I care for someone living in Newcastle Upon Tyne

yes no

I would like to receive an information pack

yes no

I would like someone to contact me

yes no

Are you a student? If you are a young adult carer studying in Newcastle and the person you look after lives in a different area, you can still access information and support from Newcastle Carers. For more information, please contact us

For more information about how Newcastle Carers can support you as an unpaid carer, please tell us your:

Thank You

Your request has been submitted successfully.

Practical help: assessments

Information Hub

Practical help: assessments

    An assessment is when a carer, or person who needs care, is able to talk to a professional (usually a Social Worker or a Social Care Assessment Officer) about their care and support needs. This is to identify what the Council can do to help and support them.

    Care and support assessments for adults and carers

    An assessment for those needing the care and support is called a 'needs assessment'.

    A needs assessment is provided to adults over the age of 18 to assess what care or support needs they may have because of a disability, mental impairment, illness, or old age. Anyone can request a needs assessment for a person. The benefit to having an assessment is to:

    • identify care and support needs.
    • get information and advice about services that may be able to help and support.

    For more information about needs assessments:

    • Newcastle City Council - information on care and support assessments (needs assessments) in Newcastle, including the option to request an online assessment.
    • Carers UK - information on 'needs assessment', including option to download their useful factsheet.

    An assessment for a carer is called a 'carer's assessment'.

    A carers's assessment is for adults aged 18 years and over. The assessment is for people who are providing unpaid care to a family member or friend. If you are looking after a family member or friend who could not manage without your help, you are a carer. A carers's assessment is a chance to discuss your caring role and look at how caring affects your life, including your emotional and physical well-being.

    For more information about carer's assessments:

    • Newcastle City Council - information about adults caring for adults and carer's assessment.
    • Carers Trust - information about a carer's assessment and what it covers.
    • Carers UK - information about carers assessments, including downloadable factsheet.

    Care and support assessments for children and parent carers

    An assessment for carers of children with disabilities is called a 'parent carers needs assessment'.

    A parent carer is someone aged 18 years and over who provides care to a disabled child for whom they have parental responsibility. The Children and Families Act 2014 requires local councils to assess parent carers on the appearance of need or where an assessment is requested by the parent.

    You can ask the Council for an assessment of your child's needs or your needs as a parent carer. The Children with Disabilities Service carry out assessments and are able to discuss your needs. During an assessment the Children with Disabilities Service will talk to you about your child's needs, and how they may be able to help and support you. They can also carry out an assessment to look at your own needs as a parent carer.

    Local Offer for children, young people and families

    The Local Offer website is Newcastle Council's information resource to find information and support that children and young people with Special Educational Needs or Disabilities (SEND) and their families may find useful.

    On the website there's lots of information, advice and guidance about education, health and care, and other issues that young people may find helpful. Additionally, there is information about places to go, for example in the school holidays, and clubs and groups to join in with.

    For more information see about assessments as a parent carer:

    • The Children with Disabilities Service - Newcastle Council team who assess children's needs to determin how best they can be supported within their community.
    • Carers UK - information about parent carers needs assessments, including an option to download information as a factsheet.
    • Contact a Family - information about social care for children and young people.

    Caring for a disabled child: Relationships

    Caring for a disabled child can put pressure on relationships between familiy and friends. Carer Trust has developed a guide about caring for a disabled child and relationships. See the guide here.

    Also, see our 'Caring and how you feel' section on our Information Hub here.


    Is there anything wrong with this page? Please let us know here