Register with us

Please tell us …

I am a carer

yes no

I care for someone living in Newcastle Upon Tyne

yes no

I would like to receive an information pack

yes no

I would like someone to contact me

yes no

Are you a student? If you are a young adult carer studying in Newcastle and the person you look after lives in a different area, you can still access information and support from Newcastle Carers. For more information, please contact us

For more information about how Newcastle Carers can support you as an unpaid carer, please tell us your:

Thank You

Your request has been submitted successfully.

Housing information

Information hub

Housing information

    Making changes to your home could make things easier for you as a carer and help the person you care for to stay independent for longer. Getting the right housing advice can enable you and the person you care for to stay in your home, or help you to plan ahead and consider your housing options.

    Equipment to help at home

    If you are finding it difficult to manage at home, Newcastle Council can give infomation about where to find equipment to help you, or the person you care for:

    For more information about equipment to help within the home visit:

    • Carers UK - list of room-by-room ideas including items of equipment and adaptions that could be helpful.

    There are also a number of shops in Newcastle, and online to look at what is available if you want to purchase equipment yourself:

    • Liveasy - supply living aids and equipment.
    • Peacocks - mobility shop in Newcastle selling mobility and living aids.

    Finding another home

    Moving to more suitable accommodation may make sense if it isn’t possible to adapt your home to meet the needs of the person you look after, or to move closer to people who can help out.

    For information about your options see:

    • Information NOW - information about different types of housing for older people.
    • Age UK - fact sheet looking at housing options for older people. Also, see information about paying for care.

    For information on finding suitable accomodation:

    • Newcastle City Council - list of housing associations working in Newcastle who you can contact to find out about what services they provide.
    • Tyne and Wear Homes - to apply for social housing (local authority and housing association housing) across Tyne and Wear.
    • Your Homes Newcastle - information about finding a new home.
    • - search for retirement housing and care homes in the area you would like to live.
    • Age UK - information about finding and paying for a care home.

    Housing advice

    For specialist housing advice, and advice on homelessness see:

    Paying for your home

    If you are on a low income you may be able to get some help towards the cost of your rent, council tax or mortgage.

    For more information see:

    There may also be other financial help available. For more information see:


    Is there anything wrong with this page? Please let us know here