Register with us

Please tell us …

I am a carer

yes no

I care for someone living in Newcastle Upon Tyne

yes no

I would like to receive an information pack

yes no

I would like someone to contact me

yes no

Are you a student? If you are a young adult carer studying in Newcastle and the person you look after lives in a different area, you can still access information and support from Newcastle Carers. For more information, please contact us

For more information about how Newcastle Carers can support you as an unpaid carer, please tell us your:

Thank You

Your request has been submitted successfully.

Arranging care and support

Information Hub

Arranging care and support

    Paying for care: direct payments and personal budgets

    If the person you care for is eligible for support from their Local Authority they may be allocated a personal budget which is used to pay for their care and support.

    The Local Authority can arrange the support they need on their behalf (using the money in their personal budget), or they could choose to take their personal budget as a Direct Payment, enabling them to make their own care and support arrangements.

    The Direct Payment Support team at Disability North provide information, advice and training for people who are receiving or considering using Direct Payments. They also assist disabled people in recruiting Personal Assistants and provide employer training.

    For more information on planning your care and support, and information about Direct Payments see:


    For those unable to independently care for themselves, there is a personalised support care package called reablement. Reablement is usually provided to people who have been discharged from hospital, or who live in their own home and their needs have changed.

    Reablement is a free care package provided by Newcastle City Council up to the maximum of six weeks. It helps those who need it with personal care such as getting dressing and other daily living tasks such as preparing food.

    A referrals to Reablement is made via a Social Worker or our health care professional.

    For more information about Reablement, see Newcastle City Council's website here.

    Making your own arrangements 

    There may different reasons why someone has to make their own arrangements to get help and support, including:

    • The person you are caring for is not eligible for Local Authority support, so arrangements have to be made privately.
    • The person you are caring for has been given a Direct Payment from the Local Authority and can make their own arrangements for care and support by contacting care providers directly.

    For information about making your own arrangements for care and support, see:

    • Newcastle City Council – directory with a listing of organisations that are currently commissioned to provide care.
    • Socialcareinfo - social care search tool to find social care services in different areas.
    • - is a useful website for searching for retirement housing and care homes, as well as services that help older people live independently at home
    • Information NOW - useful article about arranging home care
    • Care Quality Commission - independent regulator of health and adult social care in England. You can use their site to check the CQC inspection reports of care service providers.

    Help to get the right support

    It isn’t always easy to find your way around unfamiliar and complicated systems and to understand what help may be available to you and the person you look after. There are a number of local organisations may be able to help you access the right services and support.

    For more information see:


    Is there anything wrong with this page? Please let us know here

    Referrals to Reablement are usually made via a Social Worker from Newcastle City Council’s Adult Social Care Teams, or via our health partners.