It's important to look after your physical health. It can reduce the risk of developing illnesses and feeling physically fit and healthy is also good for your mental health.
Quitting smoking is proven to improve your health. Quitting can lead to having more energy, improving your breathing, and it can reduce stress. If you need help to stop smoking find information and advice on the following links:
Alcohol and health
Drinking too much can harm your health and have a bad affect an other aspects of your life. Find information and advice on the following links:
- NHS Choices "Drinking and alcohol" - lots of information about alcohol and its affects.
- Talk to Frank - information on alcohol, its affects and the law.
- Dry January - a dedicated month for people to 'join together' and stop drinking for the full month. Information on how to get involved, as well as tips and support.
Diabetes is a lifelong condition that causes a person's blood sugar level to become too high. People can develop diabetes at any age. There are two main types of diabetes – type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Diabetes UK - everything you need to know about diabetes.
- Diabetes UK - for local support groups and activities, visit "Newcastle upon Tyne Diabetes Support Group" website page.
- Newcastle Diabetes Clinic - dedicated centre for people who need primary and specialist diabetes care.
Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) describes a number of conditions including emphysema and chronic bronchitis. People with COPD have difficulties breathing.
Tips on how to maintain a healthy physical lifestyle - organisations
Eating well and excersising regularly are two ways in you can maintain a healthy lifestyle. Find information and advice on the following links:
- Carers UK - dedicated "nutrition" section of the website with lots of information on eating well.
- Active Newcastle - information on keeping fit in Newcastle, including activities and events, and "Why Weight": for those who want to lose weight and feel healthy. Also, information about what activities in Newcastle you can take part in to help
- Food Nation - food and nutrition service in Newcastle. Or find Food Club for Carers on Facebook for support and inspiration for carers who want to cook. Download the "Food Club for Carers" poster from the "Download Now" button.
Support in Newcastle
Find local organisations who can support you to look after or improve your physical health:
- HealthWORKS Newcastle - supporting people to maintain or improve their health, including Community Health Trainers and initiative "Eat Well, Move More and Live Longer". Lots of useful downloadable information on their website about healthy eating and how they can help.
- Active Newcastle - range of programmes to help people in Newcastle keep physically fit and information on Newcastle Leisure Centres.
Is there anything wrong with this page? Please let us know here