If you or the person you care for needs medical attention it is important to know where to go too.
Emergency contact numbers
- Dial '999' in an emergency.
- Information NOW - information about the NHS non-emergency number ‘111’ (which has replaced NHS Direct).
- NHS ‘services near you’ - information on NHS Choices website.
Newcastle's walk-in centres
Health professionals at walk-in Centres can help with minor injuries and illnesses such as:
- coughs/cold and ear/throat infections
- sprains and strains
- cuts and grazes
- stomach upsets
You do not need to book an appointment to use a walk-in Centre. In Newcastle there are four walk-in centres:
- Molineux Street Walk-in Centre, Byker (just off Shields Road), NE6 1SG.
- Ponteland Road Health Centre Walk-in Centre, 169 Ponteland Road, NE5 3AE.
- Westgate Walk-in Centre, Newcastle General Hospital, Westgate Road, NE4 9BE.
- Lemington Walk-in Centre, Resource Centre, Tyne View, Lemington, NE15 8RZ.
For full details on Newcastle walk-in centres, visit Newcastle Hospital Trust website.
Think Pharmacy First
The Think Pharmacy First campaign encourages patients who are unwell to visit a local community pharmacist, instead of making an appointment to see their GP. Phramacists provide free advice on the best treatment for a wide range of illnesses and minor ailments.
When you need to go to hospital
In Newcastle there are three hospitals, one of which has an A&E service. The hospitals in Newcastle are:
- The Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI), Queen Victoria Road, Newcastle, NE1 4LP. The RVI has an A&E service. The RVI is also home to the Great North Childrens Hospital (GNCH) - for more information about the GNCH, visit here.
- Newcastle General Hospital (Campus for Ageing and Vitality), Westgate Road, Newcastle, NE4 6BE.
- The Freeman Hospital, Freeman Road, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE7 7DN.
If you need emergency dental treatment
Newcastle Dental Hospital is a specialist treatment facility for dental treatments. If you need emergency dental treatment, you can visit the The Dental Emergency Clinic without the need for an appointment. More about the service here.
Is there anything wrong with this page? Please let us know here