Register with us

Please tell us …

I am a carer

yes no

I care for someone living in Newcastle Upon Tyne

yes no

I would like to receive an information pack

yes no

I would like someone to contact me

yes no

Are you a student? If you are a young adult carer studying in Newcastle and the person you look after lives in a different area, you can still access information and support from Newcastle Carers. For more information, please contact us

For more information about how Newcastle Carers can support you as an unpaid carer, please tell us your:

Thank You

Your request has been submitted successfully.

Financial help: health costs

Information Hub

Financial help: health costs

    You may be entitled to help with certain health care costs.

    NHS continuing health care for adults

    NHS continuing healthcare is a package of care that is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for people who have been assessed as having substantial and ongoing care needs that relate primarily to their health.

    To be assessed for NHS Continuing Health Care a qualified healthcare nurse assessor would complete a checklist tool. This could be done before a hospital discharge or when carrying out a care and support assessment.

    Continuing Health Care Team contact in Newcastle:

    NHS Newcastle Gateshead Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Floor 3, Ridley House, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE3 1DQ.  

    Tel: 0191 223 6503


    For more information about NHS continuing health care see:

    • NHS - information on eligibility and assessment.
    • NHS Choices - detailed information on NHS continuing health care.
    • Age UK - NHS continuing health care explanation, eligibility and more
    • GOV.UK - booklet on the "National framework for NHS continuing healthcare and NHS funded nursing care".

    NHS continuing health care for children

    Children and young people may receive a 'continuing care package' if they have needs arising from disability, accident or illness that can't be met by existing universal or specialist services alone.

    For more information about this see:

    • NHS - download booklet "Continuing care for children and young people" under the section "Eligibility for NHS continuing healthcare".
    • GOV.UK - information booklet on "Children and young people’s continuing care national framework".

    NHS-funded nursing care

    This type of funding covers care provided by a registered nurse to residents in a care home. It is paid directly to a care home. Generally, you are eligible for NHS-funded nursing care if you have been assessed as needing nursing care and you are not in receipt of NHS continuing health care.

    For more information see:

    • NHS Choices - information about eligibility and assessment.

    NHS personal Budgets


    Adults receiving NHS Continuing Healthcare, and children in receipt of continuing care, have a right to have a personal health budget. Personal health budgets are available to help people get a more personalised service from the NHS. Personal health budgets work in a similar way to a social care personal budgets.

    For more information see:


    Is there anything wrong with this page? Please let us know here

    NHS continuing health care