Register with us

Please tell us …

I am a carer

yes no

I care for someone living in Newcastle Upon Tyne

yes no

I would like to receive an information pack

yes no

I would like someone to contact me

yes no

Are you a student? If you are a young adult carer studying in Newcastle and the person you look after lives in a different area, you can still access information and support from Newcastle Carers. For more information, please contact us

For more information about how Newcastle Carers can support you as an unpaid carer, please tell us your:

Thank You

Your request has been submitted successfully.

Financial help

Information Hub

Financial Help

    Depending on your circumstances and where you live, you may be able to get a financial help to help with the cost of things you need.


    There are some grants to offer financial help and support. For more information see:

    • Carers Wellbeing Fund - a grant to help carers in need and to improve their own health and wellbeing.
    • The Family Fund - helps families across the UK who are raising a disabled or seriously ill child or young person aged 17 or under.
    • Disabled Facilities Grant - if you are a home owner or private tenant and need adaptions to your home, you may be able to get this Grant to pay for the cost of the adaptions.

    To find out what other grants are available to you locally and nationally visit:

    Help with cost of travels

    The Disability Living Allowance and Personal Independence Payment are benefits to help with the extra costs of living with a disability:

    Car travel

    There are some schemes which are provided to help with the cost of travel. For more information, see:

    • Motability Scheme - if you are awarded the higher rate mobility Disability Living Allowance, or the enhanced mobility rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment. This may mean you can lease a new car, scooter or powered wheelchair through the Motability Scheme.
    • Car tax - An award of the higher rate mobility Disability Living Allowance, or the mobility rate of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment could entitle you to a reduction in, or an exemption from car tax.
    • The Blue Badge scheme - parking for disabled people who travel either as drivers or passengers. There are a number of situations which give you automatic qualification for the badge, or you can qualify if you are assessed as having a permanent and substantial disability which means you cannot walk, or have considerable difficulty in walking.
    • The Nexus TaxiCard scheme - helping people with mobility difficulties travel independently. It allows you to travel with an approved taxi company at a discounted price.

    Public transport

    For information on financial support with public tranport see:

    • Nexus - if you live in Tyne and Wear, and have one the disabilities specified by Nexus you may be able to travel on buses for free if you qualify for a concessionary bus pass. Also, see information for Nexus travel for disabled children.
    • Concessionary bus pass - you will need to have your disability assessed by the Local Authority before you can get the concessionary bus pass.
    • Metro Gold Card - if you qualify for a concessionary bus pass you will be able to buy a Metro Gold Card to cover the cost of most Metro journeys.
    • Companion card - if you need to accompany someone who has a disability on a bus journey they may be eligible for a companion card alongside their concessionary bus pass.
    • Disabled person’s railcard - if you have a disability that makes using a train difficult you may qualify for a disabled person’s railcard.

    Help with the cost of visiting places

    Visiting a venue or attending an event can be an enjoyable way of spending time with the person you care for.

    As part of their accessibility policy, many events or venues allow a companion or carer to attend free of charge. There is no one ‘Carers Card’ entitling you to the discount. Instead, each event or venue has its own policy. Make sure you check with a venue if they have a discount before setting off, so you take any necessary paperwork with you.

    Carers Trust has help and advice about visiting places, including schemes to offer discounts.

    Here are also a few companion schemes below:

    • The CEA Card - a national card scheme where participating cinemas can make reasonable adjustments for disabled guests when they go to the cinema; including giving a complimentary ticket for someone to go with them. The CEA Card costs £6 for one year.
    • The National Trust - allows a companion or carer free entry. You can request this when you visit, or apply for an ‘Access for all admit One Card’ from their Supporter Service Centre.
    • Newcastle City Council's sports and leisure venues - if you are accompanying someone to help them take part in an activity at one of Newcastle City Council’s sport and leisure venues, and they are receipt of Disability Living Allowance and have an Active Newcastle concession card you will not be charged for the activity.

    Help with the cost of fuel and water bills

    If you are caring for someone who spends a lot of time at home, or who needs to keep warm, you could find yourself with high gas and electricity bills.

    For information about how to save money on your bills and reduce your energy use:

    • Newcastle City Council - Get advice from Newcastle City Council about saving money on your bills.
    • WaterSure Assistance programme - you may qualify for some help with your water bill if your water is metered and you use a large amount of water. Download the leaflet "WaterSure leaflet" from Northumbrian Water website.


    Is there anything wrong with this page? Please let us know here